Dr. Zheng Liu
Dr. Zheng Liu received his B.S. degrees (2005) at Nankai University (China), and completed his Ph.D at National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (NCNST, China), working on the synthesis and energy harvest of carbon nanotubes. He then worked in Prof. Pulickel M. Ajayan and Prof. Jun Louâs groups as a joint postdoc research fellow (2010~2012) and research scientist (2012~2013) at Rice University (USA), focusing on the synthesis and applications of two-dimensional (2D) crystals, including graphene, hexagonal boron nitride (h-BN, so called âwhite grapheneâ), oxides and transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs: MoS2, WS2, MoSe2 etc.)
As a young pioneer in 2D materials research, he has made great contributions not only to the synthesis of 2D heterostructures such as vertical and lateral graphene/h-BN, but also the 2D materials based nanoelectronics, active nano-systems and high performance energy components, e.g. graphene/h-BN resonators, graphene photodetectors, high-density capacitors, ultrafast lithium storage. He has published more than 60 peer-reviewed papers in top journals, including 7 papers in Nature serial journals (Nature Materials, Nature Nanotechnology and Nature Communications); 18 in Nano Letters; 6 in Advanced Maters; 7 in ACS Nano, with total citations more than 1900 and H-index of 23. There are 6 paper gets a citation more than 50 citations and 3 papers more than 100 in two years. These work have also been reported by the impact media such as Science daily, IEEE spectrum, etc., and highlighted by the top journals such as Nature Physics, Nature Nanotechnology, Angewandte Chemie International Edition etc. He was also a recipient of World Technology Award in Energy category in 2012. This award has been presented as a way to honor those in doing "the innovative work of the greatest likely long-term significance." He was awarded the prestigious Singapore NRF Fellowship and Nanyang Assistant Professorship in 2013.
- Invited talk: âExploring the 2D Atomic Layer Structure Landscape beyond Grapheneâ, Workshop on 2D Materials: Beyond Graphene, National University of Singapore 18th Dec, 2013.
- Invited talk: âExploring the 2D Atomic Layer Structure Landscapeâ, MRS 2013 Fall, Boston, 3rd Dec, 2013
- Invited talk: âTwo-dimensional (2D) Atomic Layers: Synthesis, Characterizations and Applicationsâ, CAS-NTU Workshop on Molecular/Bio-inspired Materials and Devices, Beijing, ICCAS, 1st Dec, 2013.
- Seminar talk: âTwo-dimensional (2D) Atomic Layers: Synthesis, Characterizations and Applicationsâ, Beijing, National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (NCNST), 29th Nov, 2013.
- Seminar talk: âSynthesis, Characterizations and Performance of Novel 2-D Atomic Layers- Hexagonal Boron Nitride (h-BN) and Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)â, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, NTU, Jan 28th, 2013
- Invited Talk: âToward Two-Dimensional Materials and Their Applicationsâ, THE WORLD TECHNOLOGY SUMMIT & AWARDS 2012, New York, Oct 22th, 2012
- Invited Talk: Z. Liu, L. Song, L.J. Ci, L.L. Ma, G. Shi, S.Z. Zhao, J. Huang, J. Lou and P. M. Ajayan, "Graphene and Hexagonal Boron Nitride: Building Blocks of Two Dimensional Device Architectures" FACSS, Reno, October 1-5th 2011